Monday 16 June 2014

Burda 7336 (Sewing for Barbie, yo)

I am not finding much in the way of reviews for doll pattern sets, so I should maybe share my own experiences with a few, at some point. Today it's Burda 7336, which makes three fancy dresses to fit Barbie.

I've only tried one dress and the top part of another, but that bodice section? I can't get it to fit a Bellybutton or a Fashionista, though it was better once I actually paid attention to shit like seam allowances. Still, it irks me that I can't work out what I'm doing wrong. Such is the way with these things, and I am indeed one of those people who sometimes just skips a bit if I don't understand what it's telling me to do. For all I know the patterns are for another sort of Barbie, but they don't have tinywaist so I expect not?

Anyway, fancy dresses. People love that shit. Especially people who want "modest Barbie clothes" as though Barbs were a terrible hussy having children out of wedlock and not going to church often enough. Get real, I grew up with Barbies that were mostly naked and aside from the foul mouth I'm lovely! "Modest" is a word that evokes Mormonism and the Amish. I don't think those people have dolls, because idolatory.

ANYWAY! It's definitely harder to follow than the Simplicity ones (which actually do live up to their name for the most part), and tbh the style of dress isn't really my dolls' "thing" but most likely it all fits if you sew it properly and know what you're doing. I don't even own a sewing machine, I'm just an eternal beginner.


No comments:

Post a Comment